Feces, in general, have an unpleasant smell but foul-smelling stools are unusually strong and putrid smell. And in most of the cases, this is because of what you eat and the bacteria present in your colon. Although a foul-smelling stool can also indicate conditions such as diarrhea, bloating or flatulence.
Why Does My Poop Smell Like Sewer Gas?
The smell usually comes from the bacteria in the colon that help in breaking down the digested food. But there are various reasons because of which your poop can smell like sewer gas, such as:
- Malabsorption; this is one of the most common causes of a foul-smelling stool, and some of the most common causes of malabsorption are, celiac disease, IBD, Crohn’s disease, carbohydrate intolerance, food allergies, etc.
- Infection; any infection that might affect your intestines can also cause foul smelling stools.
- Medication & Supplements; many medicines can cause gastrointestinal discomfort and diarrhea. Even taking over the counter multivitamins can cause foul-smelling stools if you are allergic to some of the ingredients present in the supplements.
How to Stop My Poop from Smelling?
If your poop stinks and you are looking for some remedies for the same then don’t worry, here are a few tips which will help you in quelling that smell:
- Eat less; as you already know, whatever goes in your body will definitely come out, and the more we eat (in excess of your needs), the uglier it gets. You can always try to cut back and avoid feeding yourself more than your body needs.
- Sulfur is an essential mineral the body needs. However, in this case, limit your consumption of sulfur-rich foods; the excess amount of sulfur in your diet will definitely increase the odor in your stools. Try to consume less of arugula, oils, cruciferous vegetables, dried fruits, garlic, legumes, while eliminating the eggs and dairy, etc.
- Reduce consumption of processed foods; anything which is processed will definitely contain synthetic ingredients, and your body might not be fully equipped to digest many of such ingredients. Hence changing over to a more whole foods plant-based diet is always the easiest and complete solution.
- Check if you are lactose intolerant; however, the truth is we all are. If you are experiencing diarrhea, bloating, nausea or abdominal cramps after 30 minutes or a couple of hours after consuming dairy, it indicates your intolerance to dairy, which can often time lead to a smellier stool.
- Medication or Supplements; many medicines may increase the levels of sulfur in your body, and as already mentioned increased amount of sulfur in the body will obviously result in smellier stools.
- Reduce fat in your diet; when taken in excess amounts, excess amount of fat will be left as undigested fat in the stool, this condition is known as steatorrhea. When your body is not producing enough amounts of lipase, which is a fat-digesting enzyme, this undigested fat putrefies and will make through the colon, producing a foul-smelling odor.
- Get your gut checked; if nothing from the above has worked for you, you should definitely consult a medical professional, there could be an underlying health problem associated with foul smelling stools such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, Giardiasis, IBS, etc.
Apart from taking the help of above-mentioned tips to stop your stool from smelling, there are other ways also with which you can have odorless stools.
- Don’t hold your poop, go to the restroom when you feel the urge as when you hold it for too long it will lead to bacteria overload, increased gas and bloating.
- Do not overeat, overeating will adversely affect your digestion; Its best to eat two or three meals a day with five to six-hour intervals between. That means no snacking between means; not even an apple, and avoid eating 2 hours before bedtime.
- Prevent constipation
- Drink more water, drink plenty of water it will not only aid the process of digestion but will also help you in passing the stool easily.
- See what medications may have that impact
- Clean your colon, it is always recommended to keep your colon clean and flush all the waste products out from your system. You can always do this by using various herbal detox powders available in the market.
Such as the Herbal Colon Detox by Easey Sweep Colon Cleanser, is not only safe but also an easy way of getting rid of all the waste from bowels. The formulation not only helps in improving the functioning of your stomach but is also very good at cleaning the small and the large intestines and eliminate any sort of uneasiness associated with occasional bowel movements.
Apart from flushing out the waste products from your body it will also help in giving you a flatter belly, improve the regularity of bowels and promote healthy flora by cleansing the bowels.
In fact, a total body detox kit is always ideal. You can also try the Easey Complete Cleanse Kit, is a 30-day total herbal body detox. This cleansing kit will not only promote digestion but will also provide bowel regularity, eliminate toxins and enhances energy.
The kit includes:
- Easey Blast Parasite Detox, it will take care of all the parasites or worms present in the body
- Easey Purifier Blood-Lymph Detox, this detox will cleanse and nourish both the blood and lymph fluids and allow for better circulation, immunity and waste removal
- Easey Flow Kidney Detox, it will aid the overall health of your kidneys while strengthening bladder and dissolving kidney stones
- Easey Sweep Colon Cleanse, Herbal Colon Detox, this herbal detox will effectively get rid of all the waste products from your body
- Easey Flush-Liver-Gall Bladder Detox, this will help in getting rid of excess bile and liver stones
If you are experiencing occasional stinking stools, then there is nothing to worry about. It might be because of some temporary changes in your diet pattern. But if you are experiencing the same on a regular basis then you should definitely consider this as a valuable sign of an underlying health problem.